Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I'm back!

My eldest daughter is a student at UC San Diego, and I have just returned from a wonderful week helping her move into her new house, which will be her home for the next two years.  It's two blocks from the beach and 1 block from the bus stop with free buses to campus.  I have to say I'm a tiny bit envious..

Anyway, to return to the big project that my younger daughter and I have been working on.  I wanted to make an old fashioned Birthday Book, with a perpetual calender for all those important dates, birthdays, anniversaries etc, and pockets for each month to store the perfect card somewhere it can easily be retrieved.  This was the prototype and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  The pockets make the bottom of the book a little bulky when there are no cards in it, but it definitely works when it has cards.  With some minor tweaks, I think I have the makings of a really useful 'standby' present.

Enough blurb though - you came here for the pictures!

Here is the cover:



The purple backing was the heaviest card stock we could find - the book is 8 1/2 inch x 8 1/2 inch - and we wanted it to be as sturdy as possible.  The flowers and leaves were first stamped in coloured ink and then heat embossed with clear embossing powder.  The words were printed from the computer.

Supplies:
Card: Green gingham A|S, creamy white shimmer, yellow and pink scraps
Stamps: A Muse
Ink: A|S
Other:  Judikins clear detail embossing powder, Marvy flower punches

January


A wide shot so that you can see what an open page looks like - the calender was printed onto white card stock from an excel spreadsheet.  Every month used paper from the same line as backing for the pocket - but in different colours.  I bought it at a closing down sale for 10 cents a sheet - I believe it is from Memory Box, but I may be wrong.  Scraps of card were used for the backing for each image.

Supplies:
Stamps: Memory Box, A Muse
Ink: Memento
Detail of the Pocket Page


..and with a card in the pocket!


I hope you like it as much as I do - Come back tomorrow to see how we got on for the months of February and March

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...